Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Waffles with Homemade "Fabulous" Syrup

Once a month we host small group and since I love to cook we invite everyone over early for a homey, fun, and only slightly chaotic dinner (where is my huge Louisville kitchen when I need it!!!) . Last night was waffle night featuring Jan's waffle recipe (my favorite) and Homemade "Fabulous" Syrup. I think technically the name is "Buttermilk Syrup" but the Boston Keyes Sr. kids changed it to something more appropriate. I was worried I might've oversold its goodness, but the double batch I made disappeared - people were putting it not only on their waffles but in their coffee and on their cheesecake. Yum!

WAFFLE RECIPE:
Mix together in separate bowl:
2 c. flour
1 t. salt
4 t. baking powder

Mix together in separate bowl:
1/2 c. veggie oil
1 3/4 c. milk
3 egg yolks - save whites

Combine flour mixture and milk/egg mixture - mix well into batter.

Beat 3 egg whites in separate bowl until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter. Make waffles according to waffle maker directions.

Homemade "Fabulous" Syrup
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 tablespoons corn syrup
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

  • In a saucepan, combine the first five syrup ingredients; bring to a soft boil. Boil for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. **Note: I make this syrup in a large, non-stick stock pot instead of a saucepan because when it gets boiling it puffs up and has a tendency to boil over in a regular size sauce pan.


No comments: