However, thanks to a suggestion from my good friend, I have recently found the secret to 100% whole wheat bread. The secret ingredient is diastatic malt powder (aka malted barley flour). This is essentially sprouted barley that has been dried and crushed into a powder. It produces enzymes which gives bread a higher rise and sweeter flavor. The perfect solution for my issues of a heavy, poorly flavored bread!
This recipe is for a 1.5 lb loaf which I bake in 9x5 stoneware loaf pan from Pampered chef.
3 cups white whole wheat flour
1 cup warm water1/4 cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
1 tbsp milk
2 tbsp olive oil2 1/4 tsp or 1 packet dry active yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp diastatic malt powder
- Measure all ingredients into bread machine and set on dough cycle (1 hr 20 min - 1 hr 50 min)
- With lightly greased hands, gently shape dough and place into greased loaf pan and cover with clean towel
- Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled - approx. 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 in the meantime
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
- Let rest in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely