- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I use 1/2 teaspoon because I LOVE cinnamon)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 bananas, very ripe, mashed
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped (optional)
Set oven to 325 degrees F. Line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Using a stand mixer fitted with a whip attachment (or a handheld mixer) beat sugar and eggs on medium speed until light and fluffy - 5 minutes (if you use a handheld mixer this step takes 8 minutes). On low speed drizzle in oil - don't pour it in all at once. Adding should take about 1 minute. Add mashed bananas, creme fraiche, and vanilla and continue mixing on low speed until just combined. Fold in dry ingredients and nuts just until combined. Pour into a lined loaf pan, place on middle oven rack and bake for about 1 hour - 1 1/4 hours or until golden brown and springs back on top.
My notes: The cooking time is still a work in progress for me. I felt like it got too brown on the sides when it was 325 for 1-1.25 hours. Next time I'm going to experiment with a 350 temp and 45 minute baking time. I might even place a cookie sheet underneath to prevent browning.