Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Italian Hero Calzones
I altered this from http://www.recipezaar.com/78044
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1/2 pound sausage meat, spicy
3 ounces thinly sliced smoked turkey or pepperoni, chopped
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
2 packages pizza dough (refrigerated or frozen) (10 ounce)
parmesan cheese, finely shredded or grated
1 green pepper, chopped
1 cup diced tomatoes, drained
1. Preheat oven to 425f degrees.
2. Lightly grease a very large baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal, set aside.
3. Drain tomatoes well.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, tukey and/or pepperoni, and olives.
5. Stir in the mozzarella cheese.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll each package of pizza dough to a 12 x 9 retangle.
7. Using a round cutter, cut each rectangle into circles.
8. Place a small portion of the meat/cheese mix slightly off centre on each dough circle.
9. Fold dough over mixture, forming a semicircle.
10. Seal the edge of each semicircle with the tines of a fork.
11. Place the calzones on a prepared baking sheet.
12. Brush the tops with the reserved oil from tomatoes and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and, if desired, cayenne pepper.
13. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until calzones are golden.
14. Serve warm.
15. MAKE AHEAD: Prepare and bake calzones as directed.
16. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
17. Place the calzones in a freezer container or freezer bag.
18. Seal, label and freeze for up to 2 months.
19. To reheat, preheat oven to 350f degrees.
20. Place the frozen calzones on an ungreased baking sheet.
21. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
22. If necessary, cover loosely with foil to prevent overbrowning.