Tiramisu Layer Cake
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup milk
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
1 teaspoon almond extract
6 egg whites
raspberries, strawberries, red currants, fresh mint
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well.
2. Stir together milk and 2/3 cup water. Combine flour and next 2 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla bean paste and almond extract.
3. Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form, and fold into batter. Spoon batter into 3 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
4. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
5. Meanwhile, prepare Coffee Syrup.
6. Prepare Mascarpone Frosting. Pierce cake layers with a wooden pick, making holes 1 inch apart. Brush or spoon coffee Syrup over layers.**Make sure to use ALL the syrup on all layers of the cake, even if the cake layers seem saturated!!**
7. Place 1 cake layer, brushed side up, on a cake stand or serving plate. Spread top with 1 1/3 cups Mascarpone Frosting. Top with second cake layer, brushed side up, and spread with 1 1/3 cups Mascarpone Frosting. Top with remaining cake layer, brushed side up. Spread top and sides of cake with remaining Mascarpone Frosting. Chill 4 hours before serving. Garnish, if desired.
Note:Vanilla extract may be substituted for Vanilla Bean Paste
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup strong brewed coffee
1/4 cup brandy
Combine sugar and 1/3 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at high 1 1/2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, stirring at 30-second intervals. Stir in coffee and brandy. Let cool 1 hour.
2 (8-oz.) packages mascarpone cheese, room temperature!
3 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup sugar
. 1. Stir mascarpone cheese in a large bowl just until blended.
. 2. Beat cream and vanilla at low speed with an electric mixer until foamy; increase speed to medium-high, and gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. (Do not overbeat or cream will become grainy.) Gently fold whipped cream mixture into mascarpone cheese. Use immediately.
Southern Living DECEMBER 2011