2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
10 ounces button mushrooms
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 teaspoons garlic, minced (*Or more, if you like garlic!)
Salt and pepper
1 lb chicken breasts, cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 quart chicken stock
2 - 4 ounces Marsala wine (* I found some in the cooking wine section)
2 ounces white wine
1/2 quart heavy cream
1 lb rigatoni pasta
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
2 ounces garlic butter (* I used regular butter)
parmesan cheese, shavings (garnish)
chopped fresh parsley (garnish)
- Heat oil and caramelize onions over medium high heat. Cook them until them until they brown.
- In a separate skillet, saute mushrooms with balsamic vinegar. The vinegar will reduce down considerably.
- Add onions to the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and heat just until you smell it - about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and stir to incorporate. Then add chicken stock, Marsala, and white wine. Cook until reduced by half.
- Add cream and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer to thicken the sauce further. (* I sprinkled some flour in a few times to help thicken the sauce a bit. It is a fairly thin sauce.)
- Cook rigatoni al dente.
- Add drained rigatoni to chicken mixture in pan and finish with basil-parsley mix, parmesan cheese, garlic butter, and salt and pepper. Add more Marsala (*Or salt/pepper) for flavor, if desired.
- Place in pasta bowl and garnish with parmesan shavings and chopped parsley/basil.