Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Brownie Biscotti

One of my  kitchen "bucket list" items is homemade biscotti.  This recipe from AllRecipes.com caught my eye and I decided to give it a go.  I think I got about 16 biscotti from this recipe, but I should have gotten more, since I sliced them a bit too thick.  These were a special treat with my coffee and something I will make again and again!


INGREDIENTS:
1/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose f lour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate
chips
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 egg yolk, beaten
1 tablespoon water


DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease baking sheets, or line with
parchment paper. (* or use a Silpat)
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one
at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the f lour, cocoa and baking powder; stir into
the creamed mixture until well blended. Dough will be stiff, so mix in the last bit by
hand. Mix in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
3. Divide dough into two equal parts. Shape into 9x2x1 inch loaves. Place onto baking
sheet 4 inches apart. Brush with mixture of water and yolk.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm. Cool on baking sheet for
30 minutes.
5. Using a serrated knife, slice the loaves diagonally into 1 inch slices. Return the slices
to the baking sheet, placing them on their sides. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes on each
side, or until dry. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

No comments: