Monday, February 23, 2009
We stored the wrapped chimichangas in a couple gallon plastic bags with the instructions written on them as a reminder. We've only had them from frozen in the oven, but they are very good. Doug bakes for 55 min wrapped and only 5 min unwrapped so they're not quite so crunchy.
3 cups cooked chicken
16 ounces salsa
16 ounces refried beans
4 ounces green chili peppers, diced in can
1 envelope burrito seasoning mix or taco seasoning mix
16 flour tortillas (7- or 8-inch)
16 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into sixteen 5 x 1/2 inch sticks
1. Using two forks, shred cooked meat or chicken (should have about 3 cups).
2. In a large pot combine meat or chicken, salsa, beans, undrained chili peppers, and seasoning mix.
3. For each chimichanga, place 1/3 cup meat mixture atop a tortilla, near one edge.
4. Top with a cheese stick.
5. Fold in sides; roll up, starting with cheese side.
6. To prepare, wrap frozen chimichangas individually in foil.
7. Bake in a 350 degree F. oven about 50 minutes or until heated through. Or, thaw chimichangas in refrigerator overnight. Bake about 30 minutes. Unwrap. Bake 10 minutes more or until tortilla is crisp and brown.