This was the first time I made this recipe, so we'll see if it's really the "best ever." Stay posted!
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
1/2 lb Italian sausage
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 cans whole tomatoes (14 1/2 ounce) undrained and chopped (*I used petite diced)
2 cans tomato paste (6 ounce)
24 ounces cottage cheese or ricotta cheese (* I used ricotta)
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons parsley
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 lb mozzarella cheese, divided
12 lasagna noodles (12 to 15)
1. Brown ground beef, Italian sausage, onion and garlic. *Directions don't call for it specifically, but I strained the grease out at this point.*
2. Add salt and next 5 ingredients; stirring until well mixed.
3. Simmer 1 hour.
4. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
5. Combine cottage cheese, eggs, pepper, 2 tablespoons parsley, Parmesan cheese and 1/2 of mozzarella cheese; In a lasagna pan, layer noodles, meat sauce, and cheese mixture; repeat.
6. Top off with layer of noodles; sprinkle evenly with remaining mozzarella cheese.
6a. Freeze unbaked.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cheese mixture is thoroughly melted.