Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Chocolate Caramel Bars
I've had this recipe since college, and feel it makes the best chocolate caramel bars in the history of the universe!
2 cups flour
2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, melted
6 ounces chocolate chips
14 ounces caramel candy, Hershey's work well
1/3 cup milk
1. Preheat over 350 degrees. Grease 9x13 pan.
2. Mix first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in butter with fork until crumbly. 3. Press 1/2 into pan. Bake for 10 min.
4. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Drizzle with caramel mixture.
5. Sprinkle remaining oat mixture over top. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown - 20-25 min.
6. Cool 30 minutes. Loosen edges from sides of pan.
7. Cool completely, cut into bars.
Heat caramels and milk over low heat. Stir frequently until smooth.
Microwave on high for 2 min 30 secs in Pampered Chef Micro-cooker, stirring after each minute.